A quick side dish or main meal, save this recipe for when you don’t have much time to cook but want tasty food.
I have to give credit to my mom for this easy healthy fried rice recipe. When I was a kid she would take on the challenge to recreate some of her favorite dishes and this one became a staple in our house. I loved it so much I would request is as my birthday dinner! Naturally as an adult, I’ve continued to make this recipe but have made it my own and slightly healthier.
This is the meal or side dish to make when you need something tasty but don’t have much time.Jump to Recipe
Just like I’ve made this recipe my own, so can you!!
It’s so easy to tailor it to meet your dietary restrictions or use what you have in the house. My number one tip is to use microwavable frozen brown rice (I get mine from Trader Joes). This cuts out the 20 minutes of making rice and saves you a dish to clean. Brown rice is the preferred option because it’s closer to its whole form, so it breaks down better in the body and has more nutrients.
Things to add in the fried rice:
- bell peppers
- snow peas
- frozen peas
- frozen corn
- edamame beans
- bacon ?
Easy Healthy Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion red or white
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms optional
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2/3 cup diced or shredded carrots
- 2 cup cooked brown rice I use Trader Joe's frozen microwavable type
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika optional
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 Egg
- If you are making stove top rice and not microwavable, I recommend making your rice before starting the fried rice recipe
- On medium heat, warm up avocado oil in a skillet
- Once hot, add the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent
- Add the mushrooms and carrots and heat up
- Add in the rice and mix it with the vegetables
- Drizzle on top of the rice mix the sesame oil and soy sauce