A meal so healthy and easy to make you’ll want to eat it every day.
Y’all I’m all about short cuts in the kitchen, especially if it makes eating healthier easier! This garden salad with cilantro lime dressing can be easily tossed together within minutes. I’m not kidding when I say I’ve had this for lunch and dinner since creating it! Nothing like being hungry and in a rush to help me get creative with my meals.
The short cuts
Here are some of my favorite foods I keep in the house to help me whip up meals quickly.
- Frozen veggies (corn and peas are staples)
- Frozen microwavable brown rice. It takes awhile to make stove top so I buy Trader Joes frozen microwavable brown rice.
- Precooked shrimp. Our local grocery store always sells these precooked shrimp in packages for only $2.00! I always pick some up to toss in a salad or stir fry.
- Pre-cut or pre-shredded veggies.
The salad can honestly be whatever you want it to be. Its called a garden salad because its made with whatever is in your garden (or fridge). Typically I like to add as many greens and colorful veggies as I can. The saying “eat your colors” is helpful because each color of fruits and vegetables represents a different set of nutrients. When you eat a variety at once you know you’re getting a nutritious packed meal.
Colorful foods to add to a salad:
- Greens: Red romaine lettuce, arugula, kale, green onion, cilantro
- Mini bell peppers
- Carrots (the more colorful the better)
- Purple cabbage (diced up)
- Yellow corn
Honestly, the cilantro lime salad dressing is what makes all the difference in this salad! It goes from boring salad to “DAMN, am I eating in a restaurant” real quick. It’s citrusy, tangy, and truly mouth watering. If you’re not feeling a salad you can also use it to dress a Buddha bowl.
What you’ll need:
- Avocado oil (or olive oil)
- Lime juice
- salt & pepper
Lets make the garden salad with cilantro lime dressing!
Garden Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 cup pre-cooked shrimp optional
- 1/2 cup brown rice I use frozen microwavable rice
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cup Red romaine lettuce
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup copped cilantro
- diced cucumber however much you want
- shredded or diced carrots however much you want
- diced red, orange, and yellow Bell peppers however much you want
- Anything extra you like in salad
The salad dressing
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2-3 drops Tabasco
- pinch pepper
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
The Salad Dressing
- In a small bowl combine, avocado oil, lime juice, tabasco, salt, pepper, and cilantro.
- In a frying pan, heat up avocado oil at medium temperature
- Add the shrimp, cooked brown rice, and frozen corn into the pan
- Sprinkle the chili powder across the food in the frying pan and stir to coat them.
- After 2-3 min (or once the shrimp and corn are heated) lower the temperature of the frying pan to low-medium.
- While the main toppings in the pan stay warm, work on your salad. In a bowl, add your leafy greens and other veggies of choice.
- Next, add your main toppings to the salad and then drizzle the salad dressing across everything.
- Toss it all together to coat the salad with the dressing and ENJOY!