This dairy free, plant-based queso will trick any cheese lover
With dairy allergies and sensitivities on the rise there’s a demand for alternatives to classic dairy favorites! This vegan nacho cheese is guaranteed to fool even the biggest cheese lover. The flavor, the consistency, even the color is everything people know and love from regular nacho cheese.
Even if you aren’t trying to avoid dairy, this recipe is highly recommended because it’s a sneaky way to get veggies. You read that right! The base is made with potatoes, onion, carrots, garlic and cashews.
The secret ingredient: nutritional yeast
In addition to those ingredients, this recipe calls for nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a type of yeast that is heated and dried causing it to become inactive. So unlike other yeasts, such as brewers yeast and baking yeast, this one is usually a good option for people with sensitivities.
Nutritional yeast is the key ingredient because it provides the cheesy flavor of the vegan nacho cheese! It’s also an amazing source of vitamin B’s, protein, and some fiber.
Know the Vitamin B’s in nutritional yeast
Vitamin B-1: Another word for this is thiamin. Thiamin is important for the body to convert carbohydrates into energy. It also protects the nervous system, brain and other organs.
Vitamin B-2: Also known as riboflavin. Similar to B-1, riboflavin helps to metabolize glucose into energy. It also helps to break down carbohydrates, protein and fats–essential macronutrients the body needs.
Vitamin B-6: Its other name is pyridoxine. Paired with the other B vitamins, vitamin B-6 is crucial for healthy brain development and protection of the nervous and immune systems. A lack of B-6 can prevent the body from creating healthy red blood cells causing anemia, brain fog, and depression.
Vitamin B-12: This vitamin is important to keep healthy nerves, blood cells, and DNA. B-12 also helps to prevent a type of anemia.
Nacho average cheese
This queso is so versatile! You can enjoy it as a dip, on cheesy fries, or even adjust it to be a mac and cheese.
Save this recipe to Pinterest and find your favorite way to enjoy it.
Vegan Nacho Cheese Recipe
- High speed blender (I use a Vitamix to achieve the smoothest & thick texture)
- 1 small chopped rustic potato
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup soaked cashews soak for 4 hours or boil in water at high heat for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup salsa I use the Trader Joes brand
- In a saucepan, add the potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic and fill it up with water until covering the top of the veggies. Boil on medium heat for 20 minutes or until all veggies are soft. Once softened, strain the water out until you just have the vegetables
- In a high-speed blender, add the softened vegetables, cashews, water, nutritional yeast, salsa and seasonings
- Blend until you have a smooth, thick consistency.
- Taste with a chip and enjoy 😉